The “Foundation Summary” section of each chapter lists the most important facts from the chapter. Although this section does not list every fact from the chapter that will be on your exam, a well-prepared candidate should, at a minimum, know all the details in each “Foundation Summary” before going to take the exam.
Table 1-8 shows the metrics used by the IP routing protocols.
Table 1-8 Routing Protocol Metrics
Table 1-9 explains how to read the information in the routing table, as explained in the show ip route command.
Table 1-9 Explanation of the show ip route Command
Table 1-9 Explanation of the show ip route Command (Continued)
As mentioned in the introduction, “All About the CCNP, CCDP, and CCIP Certiﬁcations,” you have two choices for review questions. The questions that follow next give you a bigger challenge than the exam itself by using an open-ended question format. By reviewing now with this more difﬁcult question format, you can exercise your memory better and prove your conceptual and factual knowledge of this chapter. The answers to these questions are found in Appendix A.
For more practice with examlike question formats, including questions using a router simulator and multichoice questions, use the exam engine on the CD-ROM.
1. In the routing table, a ﬁeld indicates the source of the routing information. If the ﬁeld showed the letter C, what would this mean?
2. In the routing table, how is the next hop indicated?
3. Cisco distinguishes between the routing and the switching functions. What is the difference?
4. Name the interior IP routing protocols that send the mask with the routing update.
5. Does VLSM require a classful or classless routing protocol, and why?
6. State one of the characteristics of a classful routing protocol.
7. What is the command to show whether a speciﬁc network, such as 220.127.116.11, is present in the routing table?
8. State one major difference between a classful protocol and a classless routing protocol.
9. Describe brieﬂy the difference between a routing and routed protocol.
10. Describe the processes used to build and maintain the routing table.
11. Give a brief explanation of the switching function.
12. What information is contained in the fast switching cache?
13. When would you use the command no auto-summary ?
14. When does OSPF send updates, and do they contain the entire routing table?
15. Network convergence is when a network domain has learned about the new network topology after a change has occurred in the domain. What is considered a network change that would require network convergence?
16. When would you consider using a static route in your network?
17. When would you consider using a default route in your network?
18. What command is used to conﬁgure ODR on a hub router?
19. When would you consider using a ﬂoating static route in your network?
20. Describe some of the characteristics of classless routing protocols.